Murray S. Kucherawy wrote on 2023-04-09 09:50:
Since one of the IETF's main goals in producing a technical specification is interoperability, and since improperly deployed "p=reject" results in the very essence of non-interoperability in the deployed email base, I'm having trouble imagining why the standard should leave operators with any choice here.  That is, in direct reply to the cited definition of "SHOULD NOT", I claim there do not exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the particular behavior is acceptable, even when the full implications are understood and the case carefully weighed.

Earlier in the discussion, the term high-value domain has been used (along with transactional email domain) in opposition to domain for general-purpose email. The proposed text leaves it to the discretion of the domain owner to decide whether they have a general-purpose email domain or, say, a special-purpose business domain with a high need for protection from email spoofing. The risks are outlined, thus enabling the domain owner to weigh the implications, and the proposed text acknowledges that ...

> ... the decision on which p= value to use will depend on its needs.

Isn't that having a choice?

Regards,
Matt