> On Apr 10, 2023, at 9:24 PM, Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, April 11, 2023 12:13:33 AM EDT Neil Anuskiewicz wrote:
>> I’m a bit concerned that the document will discourage domain owners from
>> working toward an enforcing policy. I’ve seen at least one person say that
>> most domains don’t need to go to p=reject. I’ve seen all sorts of domains
>> attacked? Granted, high profile domains or perceived lucrative targets will
>> receive the most attention but threat actors absolutely do attack all sorts
>> of organizations all the time.
>>
>> Maybe I’ve misunderstood but I hope that no langue that could be construed
>> as discouraging domain owners from moving toward an enforcing policy would
>> be a mistake.
>
> It all depends on the user base of the domain and the tradeoff between the
> benefits of having such a policy against the interoperability risks of having
> such a policy.
>
> We absolutely should be discouraging blind adoption of policies that result
> in
> reduced utility for email.  For any domain that has non-transactional users,
> that takes work to assess the completeness of email authentication
> deployment,
> assess aggregate reporting to understand the likely effects of either
> p=quarantine or p=reject., and then evaluate the cost/benefit trade-offs
> associated with such policies.  That's a non-trivial set of work to do and
> it's not cost effective for all domains to do it.
>
> Early in the deployment of SPF there was a similar push to deploy SPF records
> with -all (the SPF rough equivalent of p=reject).  A lot of people did it
> without thinking it through and there were significant side effects.  The
> community concluded that SPF Fail (due to the -all in the record matching)
> was
> not a sufficiently reliable indicator that mail should be rejected and
> largely
> stopped doing it.
>
> Aggressively pushing DMARC p=reject on domains that aren't ready for it may
> well lead to a similar result. Let’s not.

I’m not for aggressively advocation for p=reject. Before my current job I
worked as a one person business with mostly small businesses. My contracts
weren’t just about authentication but when it became clear that a company
didn’t have the bandwidth to get to and maintain an enforcing policy, I didn’t
push it. It likely would have done more harm than good.

The document should make it clear that you have to know what you’re doing to
get to an enforcing policy.

So I’m not advocating boosterism for enforcing policies for everyone. But
medium to large businesses I think should move toward an enforcing policy.  We
shouldn’t make it sound easy because it is not!

Neil