Neil, I am slowly embracing the position of the Mailing List advocates.

If mailing lists and all other exceptional situations could be eliminated,
evaluators could mindlessly apply a rule to "block on fail when p=reject".
 Similarly, if all evaluators would implement reliable mechanisms for
domain members to request and obtain exceptions for mailing lists and other
exceptional traffic, then domain owners could publish p=reject as soon as
all of their traffic had signatures.  Unfortunately, we have a reality that
some highly valued traffic arrives without authentication, and some
evaluators do not provide an effective exception process.   This conundrum
is aggravated by filtering products that do not provide administrators with
sufficient exception configuration options.    I am content with
language that documents this conundrum.

The Internet will always be an environment of imperfect information, so the
only viable filtering scheme is one which expects and allows for
exceptions.   Additionally, my defenses against impersonation should not be
dependent on the domain owner's policy statement.    Any allowed message is
implicitly assumed to be free of impersonation, but assumptions are
dangerous.   It is my job to replace guesswork with certainty based on
research.  As indicated earlier, this can be done.  Using DMARC, SPF, and
local policy, I am at 100% verified for MailFrom, and 97% verified for
From.   Mailing lists have nothing to fear from my filtering and I have
nothing to fear from p=none.

In short, we need smarter filtering.

Doug Foster