On Thu, Jun 8, 2023 at 10:44 AM Barry Leiba <barryle...@computer.org> wrote:

> See, I don't look at it as "harmed".  Rather, I think they're using "we
> use SPF" as a *reason* not to use DKIM, and I think that *causes* harm.

That might be true but does not address whether or not SPF is/can be useful
in the context of DMARC validation.

> SPF is, as I see it, worse than useless, as it adds no value to domain
> that use DKIM -- any time DKIM fails SPF will also fail -- and actually
> impedes the adoption of DKIM.  Reliance on SPF causes DMARC failures that
> result in deliverability problems for legitimate mail.  I wholeheartedly
> support removal of SPF as an authentication mechanism that DMARC accepts.

I'm going to disagree with you on this, having experience with billions of
emails sent with both SPF and DKIM used in the context of DMARC validation.
A sender using both SPF and DMARC will see a slight boost in validation
rates due to increased resiliency when there are transient DNS failures and
other problems. A small percentage of a very large number is still a large
number. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

> Barry, as participant

Michael Hammer