On Thu 03/Aug/2023 01:45:44 +0000 Douglas Foster wrote:
A nit on whitelisting.

I suggest that we use the term "Alternate Authentication" rather than "Whitelisting". In my experience, whitelisting often implies exemption from both authentication checks and content checks.

IME, whitelist means exemption from whatever penalizing process. Exemption from immediate rejection is the softest exemption I can think of about SMTP, as it is still possible to reject after DATA.

There is a push to avoid names that might recall racial prejudice, so blacklists are sometimes called blocklists... The mentioned Appendix D talks about "whitelists of generally recognized forwarding services". I support sticking to classic names, since any racial prejudice is only in the ears of the listeners, and not implied by those terms. Don't let political correctness make us color-blind.

Best