On 8/3/23 12:50 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

There is a push to avoid names that might recall racial prejudice, so blacklists are sometimes called blocklists...  The mentioned Appendix D talks about "whitelists of generally recognized forwarding services".  I support sticking to classic names, since any racial prejudice is only in the ears of the listeners, and not implied by those terms.  Don't let political correctness make us color-blind.

Many organizations now have policies relating to these language choices, often under more programs like "diversity, equity, and inclusion" or similar. We may have no choice but to conform if such a policy has been published for the IETF as a whole.

A quick check of https://www.ietf.org/diversity/ seems to mostly focus on gender, families (childcare) and the English language. A skim of 2015's RFC 7704 (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7704) seems to focus more on participants and behavior. Anybody know if the language choices have been addressed elsewhere?

--S.