On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 1:09 PM Tim Wicinski <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on the ABNF in -28, how about something like this:
>

> dmarc-method = "dkim" / "spf"
>
> dmarc-auth = "auth" equals dmarc-method *(*WSP "," *WSP dmarc-method)
>

> I think this "should"(*)  allow for all permutations but also simplifies
> it, and I agree with Barry it should be simpler.

This looks good to me, except to be consistent with DKIM (from which this
general syntax was borrowed) I'd suggest:

* using colon as the separator rather than comma
* WSP and CFWS should follow whatever we did for other tags
* don't allow an empty list; I can't think of any DKIM or DMARC tag that
accepts a list and also allows an empty value

If we think we might add "arc" or something else in the future, do we need
a registry of supported methods?  If not, we'll have to rev DMARC every
time a new one comes into favor.

-MSK, participating