Dear DMARC WG members,

I don't understand the choice made when writing the point 6. of the policy
discovery mechanism (Dmarcbis : [
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-28.html#section-4.7 |
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-28.html#section-4.7 ]
)

```If a retrieved policy record does not contain a valid "p" tag, or
contains an "sp" or "np" tag that is not valid, then:

* If a "rua" tag is present and contains at least one syntactically
valid reporting URI, the Mail Receiver MUST act as if a record
containing "p=none" was retrieved and continue processing;

* Otherwise, the Mail Receiver applies no DMARC processing to this
message.```

According to this text, the record :
'v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=quarantin;' (an 'e' is missing at 'quarantine') MUST be
interpreted as 'v=DMARC1; p=none;' because the "sp" tag is not valid.

It implies that domain name owners who had made a spelling mistake on the sp
tag see their 'p' tag downgrade to 'none'..
Even though the domain owner will receive the aggregate report containing the
'p' DispositionType, I am not sure he/she will catch the issue.

I would then propose to set the invalid tag to none instead of the 'p' tag such
as :

[Old Version]
* If a "rua" tag is present and contains at least one syntactically
valid reporting URI, the Mail Receiver MUST act as if a record
containing "p=none" was retrieved and continue processing;
[/Old Version]

[Proposition]
* If a "rua" tag is present and contains at least one syntactically
valid reporting URI, the Mail Receiver MUST act as if the invalid tag was set
to none and continue processing;
[\ Proposition ]

The situation for RFC 7489 is slightly the same, with the keyword SHOULD
instead of MUST: [ https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#section-6.6.3
| https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#section-6.6.3 ]

Best regards,
Olivier Hureau