On Wed 25/Oct/2023 08:10:33 +0200 Steven M Jones wrote:

PROPOSED versus draft 28 section 4.7:

========
    If a retrieved policy record does not contain a valid "p" tag, or
    contains an "sp" or "np" tag that is not valid, then:

    *  The Mail Receiver MUST act as if a record containing "p=none" was
       retrieved and continue processing;

If it were not for the appositive condition bringing about "sp" and "np", these two clauses would have a sound meaning. Acting as if p=none after an invalid sp= clashes. Let me try a different wording:

    If, in a retrieved policy record, the policy to be applied, "p", "sp",
    or "np", is specified with an invalid value, then:

    *   The Mail Receiver MUST act as if said policy had the value "none";

    *  The Mail Receiver MAY note the invalid "p", "sp", or "np" tag
       in the optional "error" field of the informative section of the
       DMARC aggregate report [I-D.ietf-dmarc-aggregate-reporting];
* If there is no "rua" tag, or if it does not contain at least one
       syntactically valid reporting URI, the Mail Receiver effectively
       applies no DMARC processing to this message.

I agree to mention the error field here. Yet, in such event, it is not possible to report the value of the policy, so minOccurs should be 0.

The order of the last two bullets is beter reversed.

Best