On 05/03/2024 21:47, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On March 5, 2024 8:10:46 PM UTC, Todd Herr
<todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 5, 2024 at 1:30 PM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com> wrote:
On March 5, 2024 2:47:47 PM UTC, Todd Herr
<todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 5, 2024 at 6:12 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

Section 5.3, in the format description of psd:

        n:  The DMARC policy record is published for a PSD, but it is the
           Organizational Domain for itself and its subdomain.  There is
           no need to put psd=n in a DMARC record, except in the very
           unusual case of a parent PSD publishing a DMARC record without
           the requisite psd=y tag.

Perhaps a "not" is missing between "is" and "published"? I'd just say the domain is not a PSD /and/ it is the Organizational Domain for itself and its subdomain. >>>>>

You may be correct in your assertion here; I'll wait for others to weigh
in.

In the meantime, Issue 126 has been opened to track this.

I think it's missing a not, but is overwise fine.

John Levine commented directly on issue 126
<https://github.com/ietf-wg-dmarc/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis/issues/126>,
indicating that he believes the text should read (emphasis added by me):

       n:  The DMARC policy record is published for a PSD, but it is NOT the
          Organizational Domain for itself and its subdomain.  There is
          no need to put psd=n in a DMARC record, except in the very
          unusual case of a parent PSD publishing a DMARC record without
          the requisite psd=y tag.

I think this is the correct place to put the 'not', as it's consistent with the second sentence here, as well as this text from the following sections:

I thought psd=n means the domain is not a PSD. Why would the text say the opposite?

4.8 Organizational Domain Discovery - "If a valid DMARC record contains the psd= tag set to 'n' (psd=n), this is the Organizational Domain, and the selection process is complete."

This says psd=n means the domain IS the org domain.

11.8 Determination of Organizational Domain for Relaxed Alignment - "If a PSD domain publishes a DMARC record without the appropriate psd=y tag, organizational domain owners can add psd=n to their organizational domain's DMARC record so that the PSD record will not be incorrectly evaluated to be the organizational domain."

Ditto.

Besides, to say that a record is "published for" may sound as indicating who are the target readers of such publication. Holding that a domain owner publishes psd=n in the hope that its PSO will read it and consequently amend its own record is not a valid interpretation of the text proposed above...

Shouldn't it be thus:

      n:  The domain is NOT a PSD, it is the Organizational Domain for
         itself and its subdomain.  There is no need to put psd=n in a
         DMARC record, except in the very unusual case of a parent PSD
         publishing a DMARC record without the requisite psd=y tag.

Best