From: dmm <dmm-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Sandeep Bishnoi (Nokia)
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2023 3:32 PM
To: David Lake <d.lake=40surrey.ac...@dmarc.ietf.org>; Miya Kohno
<miya.ko...@gmail.com>; Satoru Matsushima <satoru.matsush...@gmail.com>
Cc: dmm <dmm@ietf.org>; draft-zzhang-dmm-mup-evolut...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DMM] DMM WG Adoption Poll (2) for "Mobile User Plane Evolution" -
draft-zzhang-dmm-mup-evolution-06

[External Email. Be cautious of content]

I joined this mailing list recently so I’m not familiar with the full history
of this draft. Sorry for SPAM in case this has been discussed earlier.

I noticed few fundamental issues with “ANUP”:

  *   Mobility management and session management are fundamentally 2 different
functions and must not (cannot) be merged

     *   Most mobile use-cases require mobility across eNB/gNB. Even FWA has
inherent requirements for mobility due to fallback or interrupted LoS with
mmWave. Same with private wireless as it requires X2 or S1 handovers. LIPA is
no exception – see below.
     *   Session management is anchored permanently with 4G. 5G allows session
mobility but not widely used/deployed.

  *   Even if LIPA PDN is enabled on a UE (e.g for local IP access at home or
office), rest of the PDNs require mobility (walking away from home eNB) so
merging mobility management and session management is not feasible.
  *   LIPA PDN requires SGW function to be done in the MNO core. There is no
way to do “local” processing between HeNB and LGW

     *   MNO has to control paging (otherwise major security risk) to activate
radio link from HeNB so the user plane function does a hair-pin to SGW and
returns to LGW
     *   Same with 5GC with I-SMF/I-UPF activated

  *   LIPA didn’t become a reality due to limited use-case (local IP access
only). No major benefit due to widespread use of WiFi access.

     *   Major security issue for service providers. No monetary gain to
provide such a service

“ANUP” can be considered as a product architecture where HeNB (serving
Internet, voice, + LIPA) and LGW-U/UPF (LIPA only) are collocated but are 2
independent functions.

PGW-U/UPF functions for Internet and voice will always reside in MNO network so
HeNB will handover to eNB/gNB as soon as UE walks away from HeNB.

Unless the focus is on a very specific case of single PDN with no mobility
(“private MEC” or “satellite to satellite” only), it seems ANUP like function
is unnecessary at this point and crossing over into 3GPP territory. Proposing
to merge N1/N2 and N4 signaling will be an overkill to solve a very niche
use-case.

Sandeep