Did "real" installations, both the original and the beta (bios
machine). Went fast and flawlessly in both cases with
refractainstaller.

However, the "beta" failed to boot (to that installation) with a
kernel panic.. update-grub had failed to configure
/boot/initrd_devuan.img

I made an entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom (specifying
initrd_devuan.img) then could boot it.

My normal installation's grub and the minimal-beta's grub (installed
to partition so I can chainload it) behaved the same.

How you would sort a minimal intrd automatically on update-initramfs
(other than stripping out the junk manually), or what would happen
after a kernel update, I do not know.