On 2016-08-06 10:15, aitor_czr wrote:
Hi,

On 08/05/2016 09:09 PM, Joel Roth <jo...@pobox.com> wrote:

Didier Kryn wrote:

No news from Jude for almost one year :-(

Commits to vdev on github are as recent as April this year.
Also, I think his continued work depends on feedback from testers.

I'm partial time reading documentation and sources and
considering
rolling my own hotplugger, simpler than vdev - Jude has done an
enormous
work and vdev is a complex software with hundreds of scripts,
too complex
for me.

sysvinit also has lots of scripts!

But vdev has 33 not in helpers/ and all of those are fairly
simple.

Reading uevents from netlink and parsing them is easy, but
I'm not sure
to know what to do with these events. My first conclusion is
that
when there is MODALIAS=something, then I just have to
modprobe a
module's alias
when there is FIRMWARE=something, I just need to transfer
the firmware
by some well defined API
otherwise it is more complicated because there are many
different cases
(not all drivers provide the same uevent contents); but the job
is to
create/delete a device file, and set owner/permissions and
symlinks; but
some devices are neither char nor block (eg network devices) and
I don't
know what to do with them.

For this reason, I'm tempted to clone mdev and only change
the way it is
invoked. mdev is spawned for every uevent through the
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug mechanism; instead I would prefer one
long-lasting
daemon reading uevents from netlink. The design of mdev makes
full sense for
embeded devices, but not for others.

I'm sure mdev is very well written, because it has been
written,
maintained, and reviewed by highly skilled professionals. I have
also found
a netlink reader at Skarnet, which is certainly written with
great care but
does not seem very usefull since it just forwards the uevents to
standard
output as they come; but It might be instructive to look if it
uses any
special trick to read the netlink.

Any suggestions are welcome - there are still a lot of
devices I don't
know anything about.

It's your decision to write your own. However Jude's work is
technically interesting, and can be tested without changing
out udev.

Perhaps it just needs some additional user help in the form
of documentation, tutorials, etc.

have fun,

Joel

As i announced yersterday in the IRC Channel, i just uploaded the
repository of gnuinos containing (in addition to linux-libre-4.6.2 and
simple-netaid) the packages of vdev:

deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/ jessie main
deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/ jessie main

So does it work with devuan then?

Can you go past the login screen?

Linux-libre has been built using libudev-dev. Now, i'll try it again
using Jude Nelson's *libudev-compat* (which should be recalled to
libudev-compat-dev ?? ), instead of libudev-dev.

I also should add the following line to debian/control:

Provides: libudev-dev

Cheers,

  Aitor.