On 10/23/2017 05:47 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

kato...@freaknet.org writes:
And what if you want to use your own unsigned bootloader? Why should
you ask someone else the permission to boot your own machine? o_O

Because I want deny people with physical access the ability to boot unsigned bootloaders.
I think we can make a distinction here between owner controlled devices [1] with a fully open source firmware that implements the code signing mechanism that you desire and install such as grub's kernel signing features vs one that is controlled by the vendor/OEM instead of you.

[1](ex: talos 2, kcma-d8/kgpe-d16)

I am both the owner of my hardware
No you aren't.

Intel ME + "Secure" boot non-owner controlled firmware code signing enforcement (probably hardware enforced via boot guard, so one couldn't even spend the thousands to have it removed via a coreboot platform port)

If you can't execute whatever you please on all the processors then it isn't yours.

I imagine "secure" boot v3.0 will have MS no longer signing linux bootloaders at all (unless you buy an expensive "business" PC).