On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 10:30:12AM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> The package is now available in Devuan in "ascii-proposed" and
> "experimental". Please test it extensively and report any issue on
> bugs.devuan.org.
>
> @Andreas: please indicate if there are specific things/combintions to
> be tested.

In current default configuration, the elogind package will just install
all the libraries and start the daemon. But the pam module is not
enabled. With that combination I was able to install and use gnome-session
with USB mounting and Shutdown/Reboot. But with this configuration,
elogind is practically disabled, because it does not know about the
session. (I have also installed consolekit, which takes care of these tasks.
Fun fact: although gnome-sessions requires logind, it also works without
having it really enabled. So why depend on it? :-)

When elogind pam module is enabled, the session is correctly registered
with elogind. This can be done by following steps:

- invoke "sudo pam-auth-update' and enable elogind
- log out and log in again
- invoke 'loginctl', the session should be listed

But now, at least for my system, neither USB mounting nor Shutdown/Reboot
buttons work. I think this is because the session is not known by consolekit
anymore, so enabling elogind pam breaks consolekit sessions. This is the
first thing to investigate. I don't know the reason for this, yet. Maybe the
situation improves when using consolekit2, maybe consolekit and
elogind can not be used at the same time. (Until now i thought they are
'orthogonal' to each other)

So testing should focus on (preferably with both of the configurations
elogind fully enabled and only installed):

- Mounting devices as user, shutdown/reboot/suspend
- Functionallity of Gnome and other X sessions (I'm on KDE mainly)

Nevertheless there is more to do:

- Rebuild udisks2 with logind support should fix the mounting issue because
  udisk could ask logind for permissions then. Maybe this breaks consolekit?

- figure out how Shutdown/Reboot can be fixed with logind, maybe upower is
  the solution.

> Thanks a lot to Andreas for the great job, and to those who helped him
> in the process!

I'm passing these flowers back to you ;-)

cheers,
Andreas
--
gnuPG keyid: 8C2BAF51
fingerprint: 28EE 8438 E688 D992 3661 C753 90B3 BAAA 8C2B AF51