On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 09:38:45 +0300
Lars Noodén <lars.noo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/12/2018 09:10 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 01:55:00PM +0900, mett wrote:
> [snip]>> I m considering giving ssh access but I realized that
> >> chroot for ssh looks quite involved.
> >>
> >> So, I m wondering if using 'chmod o-r'
> >> for folders(and subfolders), and files on
> >> /etc, /home, /root, /usr and /var is a viable solution.
> >
> > Maybe use a restricted shell, allowing only the bunch of commands
> > you would like the users to be able to run. Beware of cat(s),
> > though.
>
> With restricted shell the main thing is to make a separate directory
> for the rshell user and replace $PATH with it so they can't access the
> normal directories.  There you put links (symbolic or hard) to the
> original applications they are allowed to run, how ever few those are
> but the fewer the better.
>
> However, why vsftpd instead of using chrooted SFTP for the file
> transfers?
>
> /Lars

Thanks for the input.

To be honest, rbash is what I thought of, first.

2 things refrain me from using it:
-user cannot cd in his subdirectories
(I could as Lars said, then put applications
I d like the user has access to)
-the wikipedia example of writing 'bash' at the command line
and then being able to access everywhere(I tried it).

Regarding vsftpd instead of SFTP,
the only reason is I had no problem with ftp up to now.
OK, the files transfer can be tapped by the wire
provider but that is not a big concern to the users-base
(of course, I explained to them already).

Anyway, I think I ll move to SFTP at one point.

So, you don't think, as well, that restricting
read access to others
(on the the files and folders I choose)
is a viable solution?
I should have say read and write by the way.

Cheers,