I have dnsmasq working quite happily on a Ubuntu Server 9.10 system
providing dns for my small SoHo network.

I have just noticed however that if I ask for the address of a
non-existent name dnsmasq returns the name of one of my hosting
service's machines.  It always returns the same address for any
non-existent name, e.g.:-

    chris$ host abcde.isbd.net
    abcde.isbd.net has address 195.74.61.93
    abcde.isbd.net mail is handled by 10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.
    chris$ host xyz
    xyz.isbd.net has address 195.74.61.93
    xyz.isbd.net mail is handled by 10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.
    chris$ host xyz.isbd.net
    xyz.isbd.net has address 195.74.61.93
    xyz.isbd.net mail is handled by 10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.

I have isbd.net and isbd.co.uk hosted at Gradwell so I do have a
connection with them.  In fact things are becoming clearer now,
195.74.61.93 is the (quite correct) address returned when you
look up isbd.net.

So, how can I prevent dnsmasq from returning the parent domain address
when I look up <anyOldRubbish>.isbd.net ?  Presumably it can't find the
name locally and sends off the request to the upstream name server
which (sort of correctly) returns 195.74.61.93.

However it means that if I mis-type a name or if one of my machines
dies then I may not notice immediately because DNS still succeeds.

--
Chris Green