On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 12:08:04PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> So, how can I prevent dnsmasq from returning the parent domain address
> when I look up <anyOldRubbish>.isbd.net ?  Presumably it can't find the

See "--local" in the man page.

> name locally and sends off the request to the upstream name server
> which (sort of correctly) returns 195.74.61.93.

NXDOMAIN hijacking is bad, a stupid idea by greedy people who want
more Web traffic, but who do not know how DNS is supposed to work.
See "--bogus-nxdomain" in the man page. Or better yet, find a better
upstream nameserver to use.

I run my own named(8) caching resolver on an alternate port for
dnsmasq to use. It's pretty simple, using --server and --no-resolv
settings. I changed the ports to non-privileged ones, so my named
can be started by and run as a non-root user.