So finally something relevant to this patch...

On Wednesday 22 July 2020 23:48:19 Petr Menšík wrote:
> On 7/22/20 3:44 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > I do not see any benefit why to complicate things just because "IPv6
> > addresses are many". I do not see nothing wrong on simple setup where
> > device has one IPv6 address assigned by DHCPv6 server.
> I think you are requesting breaking of DHCP definition RFCs. I see
> nothing wrong with IPv6 assigned to MAC address. I think it is wrong, if
> there are existing leases for the same address with different IAID.

The whole point of this patch is to make MAC --> IPv6 address assigning
working. It means that IPv6 address must be leased to MAC address if
assigning is based on MAC address and not on DUID/IAID.

If user set in configure file that for MAC address AB:CD:EF:AB:CD:EF
must be assigned IPv6 address FD::1 then user would expect that host
with address AB:CD:EF:AB:CD:EF would get IPv6 address FD::1.

Why host get different address, then why such option is even provided?

User already express by this configuration that he is interested in such
setup even if it does not have to be compliant with standards.

Some people are saying that assigning IPv6 address based on MAC address
is already violation of DHCPv6 RFC.

Also dnsmasq provides support for leasing one IPv4 address to more MAC
addresses. This is often used when computer has both ethernet and wifi
interfaces and only one is used at the same time. dnsmasq then lease
IPv4 address to the last MAC address which asked for it. This feature
also violates DHCPv4 standard, but it is there as it is useful for lot
of people.

So why should be similar useful feature problematic for IPv6 when it is
already provided for IPv4 in dnsmasq?

Anyway, if violation of DHCPv6 RFC standard with this setup of leasing
IPv6 address to MAC address statically is problematic, what about adding
a new option which enables this behavior?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.ro...@gmail.com