On 29/08/2021 14:34, Dominik DL6ER wrote:
> Hey Simon,
>
> I'm sorry for the noise but - because all good things come in threes - I
> found a third case that is not covered by my two patches: When the answer
> and question types are not the same (commonly seen for ANY queries replied
> to with, e.g., A or AAAA answers).
>
> But maybe you've already found a more elegant way of handling logging.
>
> Best,
> Dominik

Right. That was a bit of a rabbit-hole.

I started with your patch, and began to make it more elegant by doing
all the logging in extract_address(). In the process I found a
long-standing bug (CNAME chains ending in a PTR record were not handled
correctly) and a couple of problems introduced by the changes.

The final outcome is quite a big change, and I did wonder if it would be
better to leave it 'till 2.87, but the long-standing CNAME-PTR bug
tipped the balance in favour of doing it now.

I've tagged 2.86rc2. I've systematically tested the affected code, and
we're dog-fooding it now. It would be good to get as much other testing
in as possible before the 2.86.

Cheers,

Simon.