As far as I know, there is no technical or security reason why a Dnsmasq-like
server would *need* this limitation, but Dnsmasq has it due to design
limitiations.

Dnsmasq either responds to a request entirely locally (using /etc/hosts,
records from the config file, and records from DHCP) or relies on the upstream
server to provide the complete response. Since replies with CNAMEs must include
the target record as well, a local CNAME to an upstream A/AAAA/etc. would have
to combine a local and upstream response. That's not possible with Dnsmasq's
design..

Nick