On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 03:43:46PM +0800, Linyih Teng wrote:
> Geert Stappers  於 2023年5月23日 週二 下午1:59寫道:

> > > There's a possible difference between the number of clients and the number
> > > of DHCP leases, since leases can expire to be deleted by the client.
> > >
> > > Are you saying that the number of simultaneous DHCP leases increases
> > > without
> > > bound, or that the 513th client gets a lease? Have you checked the number
> > > of
> > > leases in the dnsmasq.leases file?
> >
> > Original Poster has yet to say what the expected behaviour should be.
>
> For the test.. i'm just curious, there is no other reason.

Acknowledge

> However, On the client side, I wrote simple scripts to run the dhclient,
> and this script will sequentially run 512 dhclient.(the number 512 is not a
> magic value, other values will happen same situation.)
>
> steps of the script:
>
> 1. create macvlan interface(It will make different MAC address for clients)
> 2. run dhclient with macvlan interface
> 3. get an IP from DHCPv6 server
> 4. kill the dhclient and remove the macvlan interface
> 5. back to step 1. and go on.

Mailinglist archive has shell script doing that
https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2023q2/017135.html

> Results:
>
> After scripts, if the 513th client comes, the server will serve the IP to
> the 513th client.  but it is not just lease max + 1 th client getting
> this issue, all after the 512th client can get IP from the server.
> At this time,  the lease entries are remaining at 512, and all after
> clients will not appear in the lease file.
>

> > Thing I am saying: Why limit dhcp-range by dhcp-lease-max?

When DHCP-clients exhaust the DHCP pool ( the dhcp-range )
then is the DHCP pool exhausted (and it is too late for DOS prevention).

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse