On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 02:01:08PM +0200, Buck Horn via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
> On 04.06.24 11:10, Chris Green wrote:
> > Should I just manually edit /etc/resolv.conf or is there some better
> > way of handling this?
>

> Your question seems not specific to dnsmasq, as dnsmasq is just a
> potential consumer of resolv.conf.
>
> You'd usually find a comment in that file hinting at its creator. ;)
>
> For a fitting answer to your question, you should consider to also
> consult documentation and support on whatever software is managing
> resolv.conf on your machine's specific OS (systemd-resolved,
> NetworkManager, netplan, openresolv, etc. etc.).

I don't think anything is 'managing resolv.conf', that's the problem! :-)

I use the 'stub' resolve file created by Network Manager from the
dnsmas.conf file:-

    resolv-file=/run/NetworkManager/no-stub-resolv.conf

and this makes most things work OK but it leaves no /etc/resolv.conf
at all which, as I said, upsets some things.  I want the local dnsmasq
just to provide DNS cacheing in the system where it is running and
nothing more, the 'upstream' DNS is provided by whatever
/run/NetworkManager/no-stub-resolv.conf points at.

--
Chris Green