Joe,

At 11:53 24/07/2007, Joe Abley wrote:
Olafur,

On 20-Jul-2007, at 23:11, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

Section 1.2 (issue)
I think this section is out of date, most recursive resolvers
support ENDS
by now. In a quick sample I did on my authoritative nameserver logs
I found almost 20000 different addresses that asked my server
questions
during 12.25 days earlier this month.
over    86% of outside queries have ENDS0
over    79% of outside addresses sent at least one ENDS0 query
only    1% of outside addresses are inconsistent in ENDS0 use.

It's possible that the recursive resolvers which contact your
authority servers are not representative of the global population.
The content on your server is not as generally popular as on
google.com's servers, or a root server, etc.

I think it would be instructive for someone to do a measurement
exercise on a root server and identify what proportion of non-junk
queries are made with EDNS0.

I do not think that there is no such thing as "representative authorative
DNS server".
Thus I think that it would be real good if different
people post their own observations on ENDS0 usage, and in particular
as people are making quite different usage of ENDS0.

As always doing stats is hard, but in this case it is important to
differentiate between recursive resolvers and stub resolvers,
as the uptake in ENDS0 is likely to be quite different.

        Olafur
Olafur