Inline

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> First, the WG has already a work item on the topic of reverse
> mappings, and has a candidate draft to deal with the topic.  Since the
> WG has spent a fair amount of time on that document, all the editorial
> work that it has undergone would be wasted, and would have to be
> re-done on the -anderson- draft.

There is no waste. Those efforts culminated in my draft, and your draft.
If it weren't for those discussions, I wouldn't have written my draft.
If your draft is true and accurate, it can still go forward.  (I don't
think it is, but I'm just one person, though I don't think I'm alone in
opposing your (Sullivan's) draft).  I think Sullivan's document has
moved off the topic of reverse status, and has essentially gone back to
the ~2000 topic in the in-addr-required draft, advocating a specific
kind of reverse mapping use.

By contrast, my (Anderson's) draft is looking to document just the
status: what we know for sure. I'm not advocating.  Particularly, I'm
not advocating that in-addr is required.  I'm stating that in-addr isn't
required; its just useful in some cases, and those cases depend on the
purpose of the site creating the records.  Kevin Darcy has an
interesting use of PTR records at DaimlerChrysler.  My draft just states
the true status that no RFC states he has to use a certain kind of
scheme. Darcy, and anyone, can invent whatever scheme they find useful.

> Supposing there were no existing WG draft, however, there are some
> additional matters in the -anderson- draft that would need to be
> addressed before I could contemplate offering support for it.  To
> begin with, the language is strangely charged in a number of cases.
> For example, there is this passage from section 1:
>
>    Facts have been obscured by advocacy and false assumptions.
>    Consequently, myths have developed regarding the notion of proper
>    use of reverse DNS records, and what reverse mapping information
>    reasonably means outside of the organization providing the data.

"Strangely charged" seems to assert there has been no controversy over
these topics.  7 years of discussion on the DNSOP WG; renamed drafts
because the title was too controversial, etc represent a lot of
controversy. Outside the IETF, there is also a lot of controversy about
the "proper" use of reverse mapping.  It is a given that the topic has
been controversial.

> There are also several places in the document where a statement is
> introduced by "Myth:" or "Fact:".  The style makes for an arresting
> initial effect, but I'm not convinced that the message is any clearer
> for it.  It also seems to manufacture controversy where none exists:
> some of the "Myths" are propositions that I've never heard anyone
> assert.

Then you have no dispute with the fact that those myth propositions are
wrong.  In fact I've heard each of those myths in various forms and
contexts.  However, the important feature is that the myths are false.
It doesn't matter that you've never heard them. I've never heard of
internet hunting either, but 33 states have banned the practice.  One
doesn't have to wait until someone actually does something wrong, before
saying that it is wrong.

> In such cases, at least more evidence is needed.  Generally speaking,
> I think the document would need to be much more neutral in its
> treatment of the topic than it currently is in order to be a draft of
> the Working Group.

You seem to have a strange sense of 'neutral'.  Neutral like the
'in-addr-required' drafts?  Facts are always neutral.  Advocacy is not
neutral.

> In the same way, I think there is altogether too much
> damn-the-torpedos certainty in the document.  The text, on my reading,
> describes issues in black and white where, in my view, there are many
> shades of gray.

Lets remember the myth the cited fact is exposing as false:

   Myth: Hosts with matching forward and reverse mappings are more
   trustworthy.

No one, including Andrew Sullivan, has ever provided any scientific
justification for this claim. A paper and software by Wietse Venema was
previously cited as the source of this claim. However, Dr. Venema has
stated that he did not intend to make such a claim in his paper on TCP
wrappers, and that his paper and software should not be interpreted as
originating this claim.  So the fact (quoted below) is correct.

> For instance, we have this:
>
>    Fact: There is no justification for this conclusion.  When pressed
>    for a reason, advocates say that one is entitled to make decisions
>    without justification because they have "incomplete information".
>    There is nothing about imcomplete information that justifies
>    irrational or capricous decision making.  Every scientific experiment
>    and every court case involves conclusions and decisions based on
>    incomplete information.  There are legitimate methods of making
>    decisions with incomplete information.  No scientific or judicial
>    method involves an entitlement to act irrationally or capriciously.
>    Legitimate methods do not depend on false assumptions, particularly
>    those with security and trust implications.
>
> Bombastic assertions about scientific and judicial reasoning do not an
> argument make.

Actually, assertions about scientific and judicial reasoning are exactly
what make up a valid argument. Correct assertions about scientific and
judicial reasoning do have weight.  Incorrect assertions about reasoning
are discredited. Bombast (the term means pretentious and wordy) has no
bearing on correctness and validity

> Repeating that a course of action is irrational doesn't prove that it
> is.

Well, of course repetition has no bearing on anything.  But the onus is
on you (the author of the original claim, and person disputing my
assertion of lack of rational basis for the original claim) to prove the
original claim rational.  The original claim has been argued
extensively, and no one has ever given a rational basis. The failure to
do so is a fact that can be cited.

You do agree that decisions that aren't based on reason and rational
bases are, by definition, unsound?

A course of action is rational when there are valid, true, reasons that
support that course, and it is irrational when there are no reasons;
when the assumed-true statements are known to be false.  This is not
bombastic, and in it is indeed a valid argument criticizing those who
claim they need no reasons for their views.

But, importantly, the fact stated in my draft is fact, and is true.
You need to show some facts that make your original claim rational.
Otherwise, it is irrational.

> On similar ground, I think that the RFC 2119 words should be taken out
> of the document.  Even if you think that such words belong in BCPs --
> and I'm not convinced -- it's unclear that they belong in a document
> on this topic, where there are so many areas of disagreement among
> competent operators.

(Hmm. You asserted there was no controversy above)

This is a repeat of a prior criticism that I think was adequately
addressed.  As I responded, then: I've found other BCPs that contain
those terms, and the RFC editor has not commented or ruled that BCPs
cannot have such terms.  I sent a list of such RFCs previously to the
DNSOP list.

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg05387.html

In fact, you continue to repeat the criticism even after there has been
a demonstration that your claim that the don't belong in a BCP is
incorrect.

The second assertion, that RFC2119 terms don't belong where there is
controversy, is also incorrect.  I have only used these terms in the
Security Considerations section. I don't think there is credible
controvery over these recommendations:

4.  Security Considerations

   DNS PTR records are entirely optional, and MUST NOT be assumed to
   exist.  Software MUST NOT fail or incur delay as a result of the non-
   existance of PTR records.

   Unauthenticated DNS MUST NOT be relied on for security or trust
   decisions.  Even when DNSSEC is used to verify the authenticity of
   DNS records, matching reverse and forward records do not imply either
   improved security or trustworthiness over sites that either do not
   have reverse DNS or that do not have matching foward/reverse DNS.

   DNS records MUST NOT be used in logs instead of IP addresses.
   Logging only the PTR resource records instead of the IP address is
   vulnerable to attack, since attackers may control the name, and may
   also use long names that will either become truncated by the logging
   system, or require upto 255 bytes to store.  Logging both IP address
   and DNS PTR records may be helpful but one must also consider that
   the 255 byte per record space requirement does not become a DOS
   attack on the logging system.

Wherever these recommendations have not been followed, security
vulnerabilities have been found.  The only cases were these
recommendations wouldn't apply are the cases where security
considerations aren't a concern.  So they are appropriately qualified,
and are always true.

> It is also not plain to me exactly what the document is about: is it
> about the reverse mapping feature of DNS, or about how to achieve an
> end similar to what reverse mapping was intended to do?  I believe all
> the discussion of RFC1788 should be removed, because it's distracting
> in the context.  Alternatively, the whole document should be rewritten
> as "ICMP Domain Name Messages Considered Beneficial", and turned into
> an argument for that protocol.

The purpose the draft is to give a status report on the facts as we know
them at present: on how to find the reverse mapping of a host, and what
reverse mapping data means to various parties. That is why RFC1788 et al
are relevant: they provide means to find the reverse mapping of a host.
David Hankin said something about RFC1788 being an old experiment. It is
true, that 1788 is pretty old. However RFC4620 is pretty new, and is
along the same lines only for IPv6.  It is good to let people know about
RFC1788, as well.

My draft discredits those who assert myths about reverse DNS, and
informs those who want to know what's out there for reverse mapping.

I'll have to review 'bombastic'. Bombastic means pretentious or wordy.
If you have some examples of pretentious words or unnecessary wordiness,
I'd appreciate the suggested rewording.  I don't agree the cited example
was bombastic or unnecessarilly wordy, but if you have a specific
rewrite in mind, I'll consider it.

                --Dean

617 344 9000