On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 03:22:04PM +0000, Lican Huang wrote:
>      My draft is about to handle possible problems when huge amount of domain
> names when Internet is in Ipv6 stage.  Because of  unlimited amount of  Ipv6
> addresses,   unlimited amount of hosts ( servers, PC, even mobile phones, etc
> ) will  have static Ip addresses in the Internet.  So,  these hosts may
> require  domain names  if we use Domain Name Systems as the way today.

        not unlimited.  there is an upper bound to the number of
        IP addresses as well as an upper bound on the number of
        domain names.  these bounds are mathmatically fixed.

        and potentially, yes. each IP address might have a unique
        DNS domain name attached.  Or there may be more than
        one name attached to an IP address.  Or there may be many
        IP addresses attached to one DNS domain name.

>        One problem is how to implement the DNS with huge amount domain names.
>   I don't  think today's  DNS  implementation  can handle successively  with
> huge amount domain names in the future.  That is why I wrote a
> distributed-dns-implementation draft to try to solve this problem.

        Your thinking here seems to be flawed.  Why do you think the DNS
        can not handle the potentially large numbers of new domain names
        which might be registered?  Please show the math.

>       Another question is when there are so huge amount domain names in the
> future,  why we don't give these domain names semantic meaning?    Can you
> figure out what's the meaning about "www.u8erbjsdhdfdsdf.com " from bilions
> of domain names?   You may say we can use SEARCH by  the key words and get
> the link of www.u8erbjsdhdfdsdf.com.  But, in this way, domain names are
> useless , because we can totally use IP address or any other handle to
> represent www.u8erbjsdhdfdsdf.com.  You may say we use domain names as stable
> name because Ip address may be changed.  But , why use these ugly domain
> names? Why not semantic domain names?

        dealing with larger numbers of names is a different question
        than the one of semantic meaning.   your concerns about semantic
        meaning are understandable, but flawed.  the flaws are along two
        axis...  a) that the lable www.example.com MEANS there is an HTTP
        server.   there is no such requirement or even implied assumption
        that it is the case.  you ask the question; "what's the meaning i
        about "www.u8erbjsdhdfdsdf.com " from bilions of domain names?" to
        which I reply - the meaning is that is the site where I can download
        my favorite licorice recipies.  It means something to ME.  Just
        because it is not apparent to you, does not divorce it from meaning
        to others.  this leads to the second (and perhaps fatal) flaw;
        b) that you seem to assume ASCII encoded labels. In todays DNS,
        there are many places that do not use ASCII encoding.  DNS lables
        take the form xn-?????.xn-????.xn-???.  which in and of themselves
        have no semantic meaning whatsoever.  The beauty of the encoding
        is that when the DNS lable is handed to an application, it is able
        to decode the lable into a script that is understandable to the
        target user... so folks who only read Mandarin can actually have
        DNS lables encoded so that they are parsed/displayed as Mandarin.
        And the same can be done for Hindi, Farsi, Korean, and even English.

>        How to name semantic domain names?  We can let specific virtual
> organizations ( or registrar comanies ) to do.  That is,   ICANN controls top
> level domains. Lower level domain names is controlled by virtual
> organizations ( or registrar comanies) according to the clasification of
> contents.  In this way, we can figure out hieararchical classification of
> contents  very easily by trace down the heararchical domain names.
>   If domain names are named as this way , we can easily  add SEARCH power in
> DNS just like my draft.

        Perhaps that could be made to work. I remain dubious of the
        value, particularly in light of alternate encoding methods and
        the ambiguity on the semantic equivalence of various strings
        encoded differently.   You have not persuaded me of the value
        of proceding down this development path.

>        Semantic domain names does not  takeover the current domain names in
> the first stage.  We can use  new TLDs to manage semantic domain names, and
> let the old TLDs to be managed as the way today.

        Show me where/how you will get enough traction to get this started
        and what real problems it solves for people that are not already
        solved in other ways.