bert hubert wrote:
The server I mean by the way is microsoft exchange, which likes to do DNS
over TCP.
so what does microsoft exchange do when it tries to talk to a tinydns service
like everydns.net who doesn't implement TCP/53 at all?

It doesn't need to - it speaks to resolvers.

        Bert

Okay, so there's a huge difference between "disabling one of the more widely used MTAs", and "creates a reasonable dependence on locally-operated resolvers".

Paul's original proposal, IIIIC (if I interpret it correctly) applies to resolver<->authority-server communications, not stub<->resolver communications.

Anyone can install and operate a resolver that permits (local) TCP connections from stub clients, and as such, even if other parts of the food chain change, this doesn't break - meaning the aforementioned MTA doesn't get disabled by the proposal.

So, I think this is a bit of a red herring...

"MTA (TCP) resolver (UDP) authority server" is perfectly reasonable, especially if the (UDP) includes (EDNS +/- DNSSEC).

Brian