* Paul Vixie:

[QTYPE=ANY deprecation]

> so, can you explain what you mean by "breaks", both for sendmail and
> qmail?

I thought deprecation means that responders (especially resolvers) are
free to discard such queries.  At least that's how the binary label
deprecation was interpreted by some folks.  I don't see how this would
be different, at least for resolvers.

[QCLASS != IN deprecation]

> i don't think we should foreclose the possibility that QCLASS != IN
> will be useful to somebody some day.  do you know a specific risk
> for QCLASS != IN?

Reducing the arbitrariness of the DNS header reduces the risk that you
run into a query/response loop with some other service (like chargen
or time).

>> >    RA=1 AND RD=0
>>
>> By the responder or the initiator?
>
> nonrecursive queries of recursive servers [snip]

Ahem, my concern was that the RA bit is set by the responder, while
the RD bit is set by the initiator.  RA=1 *queries* don't make much
sense, no matter what the RD bit is.  As Peter Koch noted, RA=1, RD=0

[DNS over TCP deprecation]

>> I strongly oppose this approach.  Unsolicited TCP has its place.
>
> are you strongly in favour of amending RFC 1035 4.2.2 to say that
> responders initiate close, or that timeouts of less than two minutes
> are allowed?

No need to update RFC 1035, RFC 1123 already did that: "A name server
MAY limit the resources it devotes to TCP queries" (section 6.1.3.2).

> it's not like TCP/80 where server operators who want to handle a
> million simultaneous queries know that they'll need a lot of
> silicon+power to do it.

I agree it's a bad idea to roll out TCP-only resolvers without changes
on the authoritative side.  An EDNS0 flag saying "I'm willing to take
the TCP load" might be necessary.

> did RDP (RFC 908, RFC 1151) ever achieve critical mass?

Not likely, given that the acronym has been reused for something
totally different.  I think for reliable datagram transport with some
deployment, you need to use SCTP.  I've never seen this RDP in the
wild.

--
Florian Weimer                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99