William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Mark Andrews wrote:

>>> Given the stunningly successful implementation of BCP038 over the 8
>>> years since it has been published, I believe relying on it as a
>>> mitigation strategy against open resolver attacks is simply silly and
>>> discussing it largely a waste of time.
>>>
>> While I encourage everyone to deploy BCP 38, wherever possible, I
>> don't believe we should be relying on BCP 38 deployment to prevent
>> recursive servers being abused.
>>

> BCP 38 is one tool in the mitigation box, but it doesn't mean that it can
> only be the *only* tool available.  So I agree with Mark.

First layer of defense: BCP 38

Second layer of defense (because there are those who cannot or will not
implement the first layer): Restrict recursive service by default

Third layer of defense (because there are those who cannot or will not
implement the first or second layers): Reactively filter abusive
recursors (as Dean suggested).

- Kevin