On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 10:56:45AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> They cannot be "interpreted as part of a dotted-quad" if everyone
> follows RFC 1123 section 2.1 "The host SHOULD check the string
> syntactically for a dotted-decimal number before looking it up in the
> Domain Name System".

Funny you should say that, because RFC 1123 section 2.1 _also_ says,
"However, a valid host name can never have the dotted-decimal form
#.#.#.#, since at least the highest-level component label will be
alphabetic."  Therefore, I think appealing to the RFC 1123 rules for
this case is going to be tricky.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.