On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 03:54:58PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:

> knowledge of IDNs and the BiDi issue.  But when I talked with some folks
> around the ICANN circus, there was conventional wisdom that there would
> be no admission of a delegation beginning or ending with a digit to the
> root zone.  This bar was in place because of the BiDi issues as I
> understand from Patrik Faltstrom's blog.
>
> And, from what I have heard, I believe "display issues" is at the heart
> of the problem.

Ok, so the "no beginning or ending digit" rule is a rule about
U-labels, and not necessarily about A-labels.  So the outstanding
question, relevant to the draft at hand, is whether the issue is
important for A-labels as well.

Since this has been a topic of some importance in IDNAbis, I'll ask
the people over there about it.  Patrik is not the only person in that
community who's on top of this issue.

[Aside: while I'm on the topic of IDNAbis, I've recently again been
reminded that it'd be really, really good if people with DNS clue
would have a look at that work to see if there's anything
problematic.]

> Still, seriously, all this aside, I doubt we will ever want "manpages.5"
> as a domain name.

But I have no difficulty imagining someone with more money than sense
wanting .666 as a TLD.  And with the latest ICANN policies, they'd have
a stronger argument than they once did.  The question is whether there
are important technical reasons to say no.  "666" could never appear
as part of an IPv4 address, after all.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.