On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 02:38:37PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:

> Remember that RFC 1123 was written in a historical epoch much different
> than today.  No IDNs.  No URLs.  No thought of domain names in
> newspapers.

But depending on whether you think the text I quoted is normative,
1123 may actually forbid those IDNs at the top level.  Which would be
a bad thing, I think.

> The BiDi issue will pretty much prevent us from seeing a TLD beginning or
> ending with a digit in the global public Internet root zone.  Even if the
> whole issue is too new to be in an RFC (IETF's IDNABIS WG might get
> around to one).

Surely not.  The BiDi issue may prevent anyone from seeing a U-label
beginning or ending with a digit from being "added" to the root.  What
actually gets added to the root zone, however, is an A-label.  It
makes no difference whether that A-label begins or ends with a digit
(it won't begin, I predict, but I'm not sure whether it might end with
one), since A-labels are always ASCII.

Or are you saying that display issues coming from ASCII-only labels in
a BiDi display context need to govern the contents of zone files.  If
so, I think that really really needs to get raised in idnabis soon.
That's not my understanding of the issue so far.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.