At 12:07 PM +0100 3/7/09, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>I think regarding digits in TLDs (or rather, non-letters), this is the right
>time when one definitely should have the basic rule to not "add something
>until it breaks", but instead, "only add things we do know will not create any
>harm".

Yes, that's a good statement.

>And I think within those basic rules, we should just say no to digits in TLDs.
>Anywhere. Or rather, every character in a U-label in a TLD have to have an
>explicit directionality.

I'm not sure I agree that we should go that far. It is clear that TLDs should
not start with digits because of bad BiDi interactions.

I thought that a TLD of "E164" (to take a controversial example...) is known to
cause no harm at a TLD due to BiDi issues, but I could be wrong. All labels
will be to the left of it. There is a LtoR character at the beginning. Is there
a legal U-label that can go before it that will cause the "E" or any digits to
move?

I have no idea about, for example, "<RtoLcharacter>164" as a TLD.

>I think it is time to not have a general rule "lets add something if not
>proven that adding will create harm", but instead "lets add something only if
>proven that it absolutely not does create any harm", and then have the people
>that want certain dangerous characters in there explain why it is safe.

I'm with Patrik on this one: you have to prove the negative in order to
register a TLD.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium