On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 07:40:46PM +0100, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> The problem with writing exact objective rules is that with the 6000
> languages, and enormous number of codepoints, it is extremely hard to
> create say a regular expression that we know is _absolutely_ correct
> regarding separating the good TLDs from the bad ones.

I'm not sure the "good TLDs from the bad ones" is what the I-D in
question is trying to separate.  I have the impression, from reading
it, that the I-D is trying to talk about the narrow, technical
definition of the last label aside from the null-length root one, as
it appears in the DNS -- what we call "TLDs", but only in the narrow,
technical sense of "the label appearing in the DNS protocol".  The
document has nothing to say about languages, code points, good policy,
&c -- it's very careful, in fact, to say that it's not tackling that
question, and is only interested in the DNS definition of labels at a
particular level.

I appreciate that perhaps the other questions are important ones that
need tackling.  But we have a narrow, technical problem right now that
needs to be addressed: at the moment, depending on how one reads RFC
1123, the IANA-operated root zone has in it labels that it should not,
because it contains labels that are not "alphabetic".  I would like to
suggest that we need to solve that specific issue first, just so that
we even have something else to talk about.  If we can't solve that
issue, then one might reasonably argue that the current IANA-operated
root zone is in violation of RFC 1123, and try to prevent additional
movement on internationalized TLDs that way.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.