On 11 mar 2009, at 15.08, Matt Larson wrote:

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009, Patrik Fltstrm wrote:
Will there also be a problem with digits within a label? "Probably
not", but I rather see a generic good definition of "the gray area"
and who is responsible for arguing (I an not saying proving here)
whether something is "ok to delegate" or not, and I think it should
be the applicant that argue it is ok. Not the other way around.

Patrik, are you suggesting that a TLD label with interior digits (but
not beginning or ending the TLD label) should be disallowed?

Or are you suggesting that anyone proposing a such a TLD with an
interior digit should prove no harm?

Or something else?

Could someone please give a concrete example of why a digit within a
TLD label would be a problem?  I grudgingly accept that the idea of
digits starting or ending a TLD label needs further discussion, but I
cannot be convinced about a prohibition against digits within a TLD
label without some justification.

I think, with my compared to some people limited knowledge about Unicode, think that IF the first and last character of a TLD do have what is called strong, and the same, directionality, then it does NOT matter what is _inside_ the label.

Note that I am not using terminology like "digit" or "alphabetic" now, and that is intentional. I am just looking at the characteristics of the Unicode codepoints.

   Patrik