On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 05:25:29AM +0900, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
> > I fully agree.  I just want to make sure we're not holding ourselves
> > to an operational standard that is just impossible to reach.  If we
> > want "proof" and "facts" about whether something won't ever be
> > compromised,
>
> Remember that DNSSEC was developed because it was believed to make
> DNS proven to be secure.

You're equivocating on "proof" or "secure" or maybe both.

DNSSEC allows you to prove that, assuming secure keys, you're getting
the the correct (i.e. authoritatively-sourced) answer.

It does not allow you to prove that the keys were handled properly,
that Dr Evil hasn't taken over the authoritative machine, that we
really are living in a Euclidean universe with the relevant
mathematical structures, or that ChipManufactureCorp didn't have a
serious bug that caused every cryptographic operation it ever does to
be predictable.  It also doesn't allow you to prove that Bishop
Berkeley's metaphysics was wrong, such that you are in fact connecting
to a computer somewhere out there in the world and not just a
representation-of-foreign-computer in your consciousness.

No other cryptographic proof can ever prove such things, either, since
a cryptographic system invariably involves those nasty graphos, who
are prone to making errors.  Moreover, no existing system can prove
that there is not an undiscovered vulnerability of an algorithm
(though I understand there are proofs that, under known mathematical
assumptions, some algorithms cannot be broken.  That's not the same
thing).  If you wish otherwise, I think you are asking that Godel be
proven wrong.

If you dislike the word "prove" and cognates to be used for anything
other than mathematical certainty, then I suggest you translate any
use of "proof" that involves parts of the physical universe into some
other term like "increased confidence in the empirico-statistical
sense".

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.