On 28 Jan, 2014, at 13:56, Lyman Chapin <ly...@interisle.net> wrote:

> Hi Stuart -
>
> The draft was intended to capture existing observed high-volume uses of
> non-delegated TLD names empirically, rather than trying to determine the
> circumstances under which local use of a particular TLD name occurs (which
> might be highly various, depending on the name).

That’s a laudable contribution, thank you.

I believe that with the considerable sleuthing abilities of the IETF community,
we ought to be able to take this initial set of observed data and treat it as a
call to action for the IETF community, for someone to step forward and tell us
*why* those names are in use, are leaking out to the root name servers, and
what the intended use is for these names. (I assume that “leaking out to the
root name servers and getting NXDOMAIN” is *not* the intended use.)

Stuart Cheshire