Hi Francis,
> >From discussions with Stephane Bortzmeyer and Mark Andrews...
>
> First I come back to the fact there are two different problems (aka divide
and
> conquer):
>  * stubs <-> resolver
>  * resolver <-> auth servers
>
> I consider the first one to be already solved, cf. the Microsoft deployed
> solution which puts clients, local networks, the resolver (also the
Microsoft
> Domain Server :-), in the same area and uses IPsec to protect it. You can
do
> other ways but IMHO we can assume you don't need confidentiality with far
> or untrusted resolvers.
> Or with other words you don't need confidentiality with 8.8.8.8

Why don't we need confidentiality with open resolvers like google?
One might not like that anybody on his/her network knows what he is
browsing. This is a part of privacy.

> So we have the second (and *hard*) problem to address.
> A thing we can do now is to minimize qnames (Stephane should write a
> dedicated draft about this): it doesn't change the protocol, and IMHO to
> change referrals by direct queries about name servers should not be a bad
> thing.
>
> The last step is to design an encryption solution.
> My requirements are:
>
>  1- the solution SHOULD NOT add extra round trips
>
>  2- the solution MUST NOT add per client state on servers
>
>  3- the solution MUST work without prior arrangements

Probably you need a miracle. Because with no arrangement, I do not think it
is possible. I would change your sentence to with minimal arrangements.

> In details: 1- is about extra delays but for higher level domains a
validating
> resolver will anyway make other related requests so the extra delays will
be
> diluted.
>  2- is about scalability and anycast, e.g., we want the solution to work
with a
> common setup where requests are load-balanced between multiple server
> instances. Note the keyword is "state", we can accept a state associated
with a
> TCP connection but a solution relying on even medium key TTL should be
> rejected.
>  3- is common sense, and includes circular dependencies if for instance
the
> server public key is itself delivered through the DNS.
>
> At the other hand we only need a weak (== not very strong) protection
> against passive attacks, so it doesn't matter that the standard mutually
> authenticated Diffie-Hellman + symmetical A+E cipher doesn't fit.

If you use a weak approach, IMHO, it is better to forget encryption since
you do not know how powerful an attacker can be and you only bother your
computer.

Best,
Hosnieh