On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

> As I have said many times.  There is a myth that recursive servers
> do not need to validate answers.  Recursive servers will always
> need to validate answers.  Stub resolvers can't recover from recursive
> servers that pass through bogus answers.

This too is going too far; of course they can, they can ask another
recursive resolver.

Always set CD=1 is also bad advice.  Stub resolvers need to send
> both CD=1 and CD=0 queries and should default to CD=0.  CD=1 should
> be left to the case where they get a SERVFAIL result to the CD=0
> to handle the case where the recursive server's clock is broken or
> it has a bad trust anchor.

Defaulting to CD=0 renders DNSSEC, essentially, pointless. Resolvers, and
the path between resolvers and stubs, are the easiest components in the
lookup chain to subvert.

> So they resisted the idea of an authenticated Stub-client <-> Resolver
> > protocol and they dumb down the crypto so their model will work.
>
> DNSSEC is quite capable to protecting that path.  Why do you need
> a second protocol.

That statement is not consistent with setting CD=0 on that path.

--
Colm