On 02 Apr 2014, at 15:19, Jim Reid <j...@rfc1035.com> wrote:

> There's been a lot of noise and very little signal in the recent discussion.
>
> It would be helpful if there was real data on this topic. Is an RSA key of N
> bits too "weak" or too "strong"? I don't know. Is N bits "good enough"?
> Probably. Change the algorithm and/or value of N to taste.
>
> My gut feel is large ZSKs are overkill because the signatures should be
> short-lived and the keys rotated frequently. Though the trade-offs here are
> unclear: is a 512-bit key that changes daily (say) better than a 2048-bit key
> that gets rotated once a week/month/whatever? Remember too we're not talking
> about keys to launch ICBMs or authenticate billion dollar transactions. I
> doubt it matters if a previous key can be cracked provided it gets retired
> before the bad guys can throw enough CPU-years to break it.
>
> However I'm just going on my own gut feel and common sense which could be
> wrong. Large keys might well be advisable at the root and/or for TLD KSKs.
> But so far there does not appear to have been much science or engineering on
> just how large those keys should be or how frequently they change. So in the
> absence of other firm foundations the established wisdom becomes "do what
> gets done for the root".
>
> If there is a threat or risk here, please present solid evidence. Or, better
> still, an actual example of how any DNSSEC key has been compromised and then
> used for a real-world (or proof of concept) spoofing attack.
>

> BTW, the apparent profanity on an earlier thread was annoying because it
> didn't spell "whisky" correctly. As every drinker of fine single malt knows.
> :-)

:-)

Jim,

Just a thought that occured to me. Crypto-maffia folk are looking for a minimum
(i.e. at least so many bits otherwise its insecure). DNS-maffia folk are
looking for a maximum (i.e. at most soo many bits otherwise
fragmentation/fallback to tcp). It seems that the cryptomaffia’s minimum might
actually be larger than the DNS-maffia’s maximum.

As an example (dns-op perspective).

Average case: 2 keys (KSK/ZSK) + 1 sig (by KSK) with 2048 bit keys is at least
768 bytes (and then some).
Roll case: 3 keys(2 KSK/1 ZSK) + 2 sig (by KSK) with 2048 bit keys is at least
1280 bytes (and then some).

Then there is this section in SAC63: "Interaction of Response Size and IPv6
Fragmentation”

Which relates to response sizes larger than 1280 and IPv6 and blackhole effects.

https://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-063-en.pdf

Hope this helps

Roy