Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand the time-based attack, but I'm not seeing it.

I think a plausible form of this attack involves DNSSEC validation at
the edge.

(1) DoS your victim, to force them into trouble-shooting mode. Hopefully
they will reboot, at which point you can lie to them about the time, and
they will probably believe you.

(2) You have compromised a key that was valid at the point in time which
your victim now believes is current. The signature chain from the root to
your compromised key works. You have a sample of other records from the
same time so you can maybe make other stuff seem to work.

(3) Go wild signing attack records with your compromised key and sending
them in responses to your victim.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Westerly or southwesterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in north. Rough