Klaus Malorny wrote:

>> OK. If it is acceptable for you, allow 1 variant per name and we
>> are done.
>>
>> That people around you are happy with at most 5 or 20 variants
>> does not mean other people needing more variants may suffer
>> from the trade-off.
>>
>> A better solution is never use IDN. That, even within European
>> (French) context, capital form of 'y' with diaeresis can be 'Y'
>> or 'Y' with diaeresis is already bad enough for case insensitive
>> DNS.

> What's the purpose of this comment? Are you saying that you don't care
> about real world problems?

I'm saying you should accept the real world problems of:

        other people needing more variants may suffer
        from the trade-off.

and

        That, even within European
        (French) context, capital form of 'y' with diaeresis can be
        'Y' or 'Y' with diaeresis is already bad enough for case
        insensitive DNS.

> Get rid of IDNs?

Yes.

As it is obvious from the beginning that IDN is not practical,
I have been saying so.

> Learn English or die?

No, as can be seen names on passport, internationally, every
country have a scripting system to represent their language
in ASCII.

Though some European country may insist that their passport
may include Latin-1, it is not fair for the rest of the
people who can't use their traditional script.

> Internet back to its roots as an academic, non-commerical network? This
> all would be fine to me, but unfortunately not to many people out there.

A commercial network can not support something operationally
impossible or, at least, impractical.

                                                Masataka Ohta

PS

As I repeatedly state, so called IDN is not internationalized at
all and actually is localized DN, whereas ASCII DN is, like
ASCII names in passports, fully internationalized.