Ray Bellis wrote:

> To me, that _clearly_ indicates that the name exists (given that the
> “label” is a property of the node, which clearly does exists) and
> therefore that NXDOMAIN is inappropriate.

Yes, it is, even for those who debated a lot here without reading
rfc1034 or those who read the rfc so long ago that they don't
remember its content, but only after the text is presented to them.

The problem is that, for those who don't fully understand/remember
DNS, empty non terminals can be a pitfall with high probability,
against which new proposals should be protected.

                                                Masataka Ohta