On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 11:28:44AM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> This is not the usual DNS meaning of recursion. Referrals occur during
> *iterative* resolution. (Also, tangential to the point of this message,
> delegation NS records are not glue - if there is glue in the response,
> it isn't necessary to find the addresses of the NS targets!)

I've seen "glue" used generically to describe any record returned in
a response from an authoritative server for which that server is not
itself authoritative; that *would* include delegation NS RRsets, as
well as associated address records.  I've also seen it used to describe
any record in a parent zone that describes a child, even if the parent
*is* authoritative, as with "DS glue".

Not saying either of those definitions is correct; just that they're
not obviously wrong.  It would be a good idea to nail it down.

> BIND has various functions with "find" in the name which deal with finding
> name server addresses. I don't think it has a more special name for this
> part of the iterative process.

I call this "delegation following" (or sometimes "delegation chasing"),
but I don't recall where I first encountered the term, and there may
be a better one out there.

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.