On 01/06/2015 11:31 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> Christian,
>
>> On Jan 6, 2015, at 12:47 AM, Christian Grothoff
>> <christ...@grothoff.org> wrote:
>>> The DNS implementation of the singular hierarchical domain name
>>> namespace does not preclude the use of any portion of that
>>> namespace outside of the DNS (for example, see nsswitch).
>>
>> Well, I believe that while you are technically right, an nnswitch
>> plugin hijacking ".com" today to do something very different from
>> DNS resolution is typically not merely bad design, but most likely
>> malware.
>
> I meant to provide nsswitch as one (generic) example of a way to
> implement a portion of the domain name namespace outside of the DNS.
> It obviously is not the only means -- /etc/hosts would be another
> (less generic) example.

Sure.

>> This is what we mean by usability: we need to satisfy user's
>> expectations, and just grabbing some TLD that ICANN has already
>> allocated is likely to cause usability problems by confusing
>> users.
>
> I understand and that is, I believe, what RFC 6761 was trying to
> facilitate. The question isn't whether grabbing some TLD is a good
> idea (it isn't) but rather, is a TLD actually necessary.  So far, as
> far as I've seen, the only concrete justification you've provided
> appears to be that a TLD (as opposed to a second-level name in a
> sub-tree dedicated to non-DNS domain names) means fewer characters to
> type. I'd note that in the case of TOR, something like T.ALT or O.ALT
> would be the same number of characters as .ONION.

You're forgetting other issues, such as who manages .alt-allocations.
I just can't repeat every argument each time, and if I don't have
everybody go and say that clearly I only have one because I didn't put
them all forward in each e-mail. Sorry, I'm not a parrot, and I had this
specific discussion with you already over a year ago:
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg10876.html

>> Correctly configured installations of the P2P name systems must
>> never contact DNS servers about these pTLDs.
>
> It might be worthwhile stating this explicitly as in:
>
> "Installations of the P2P name systems MUST NOT contact DNS servers
> about these pTLDs."

Sure. But that depends a bit on your definition of "DNS server" -- if I
run a dns2gns proxy that speaks DNS, is that a "DNS server"? If a
Namecoin user configures his DNS server to support ".bit", is it still a
"DNS server"?  If we write "ordinary DNS servers", that might work.

> perhaps adding that exposure to the DNS of these P2P names would
> constitute a potential privacy/security risk.

Sure.

> However, as I understand it, this wouldn't appear to apply to GNS and
> Namecoin ("GNS and Namecoin domains MAY use [the DNS tree hierarchy],
> as they return DNS-compatible results; ..."), so I presume I'm
> misunderstanding something -- apologies for not having time to delve
> into the details of how those systems actually work (that's on my
> list of things to do).

GNS and (AFAIK) Namecoin can (or at least theoretically could)
internally delegate names back to DNS. I.e. I could make BAR.example.gnu
resolve to BAR.example.com (possibly bypassing the root zone by
providing both NS and DNAME information in a combined record, or using
full DNS resolution via CNAME).  So these new name systems can integrate
with legacy resolution, bypassing legacy issues such as the status of
.IR depending on a US court decision...

>> Yes, except thinking about it 'cannot ... administratively' also
>> has not exactly the right ring to it.  I'll change it to:
>>
>> "Names within pTLDs are not allocated by some designated
>> administration" would be more precise.
>
> That's clearer, at least to me.

:-)

>> However, if say the socks proxy is "off", or the NSS is
>> missconfigured, then the requests may unintentionally be leaked to
>> DNS.
>
> OK. My concern was that I had somehow inferred that a potential
> algorithm for transition to a P2P system was:
>
> get domain name query DNS for domain name if response is NXDOMAIN
> then query P2P system for domain name P2P domain name handling else
> DNS domain name handling endif
>
> (which would obviously be bad)

Yes, very bad indeed ;-).

> Perhaps in section 2, around (or replacing) the third bullet on
> starting page 3, you could say something along the lines of:
>
> "o When a pTLD protocol has been implemented, existing software
> libraries and APIs MUST intercept queries intended for the DNS and
> MUST NOT extend regular DNS operation to ensure P2P names cannot leak
> into the DNS."

Well, it may not be a software library in charge (see Tor socks proxy),
and the pTLD resolutions are obviously not "intended" for the DNS.

So I'd write:

        When a pTLD protocol has been implemented, the implementation
        MUST intercept queries for the pTLD to ensure P2P names cannot
        leak into the DNS.

Acceptable?

Best regards,

Christian