I did actually recently suggest to some Tor devs that they should use

onion://domain/
or tor://domain/

instead of http://, as they are indeed not using HTTP and this would be
a nice way to indicate anonymous/non-anonymous use.  But, again, legacy
and usability (users these days don't even see the http://) likely mean
that this won't happen, even if technically it would be cleaner.
Furthermore, while you can use tor:// to indicate the change in
protocol, the combinatorial issue means this won't really solve the
issue of the draft, especially as names for GNS and NameCoin are really
meant to be usable in any URL with any protocol (telnet://, http://,
gnunet://, mailto:, etc.) in the place where there is a domain name in
the URL. So it makes sense to write:

tor://example.bit/ or
http://example.bit/ or
tor://example.gnu/ or
http://example.gnu/

In fact, even

tor://example.gnu/ and
onion://example.gnu/

might both make sense, with the 1st using Tor to exit to the A/AAAA IP
address specified in GNS, and the 2nd using Tor to go to the hidden
service specified in GNS (that's one of those Tor-GNS-integration issues
I predict and tried to address with my suggestion to the Tor devs).

imperfectly solved in Tor's current design/deployment; but we're
discussing name resolution process, not transport protocol.
So I'd say you're confusing layers.

Best,

Christian