Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> responders do not need to be upgraded for this, as we found out on this
> list about two years ago when Mark Andrews patched dig and I ran a test
> with that.

Not entirely true. Persistent TCP works but it needs some performance
engineering.

Responders need to be upgraded to handle queries concurrently and send
replies out-of-order, so that TCP performance is as good as UDP
performance. Both Unbound and BIND suffer from this (though BIND is being
fixed.)

They also need some web-server-style attention to TCP connection
scalability, e.g. by default BIND is limited to only 100 connections. It
should be reasonable to set it to 10000 on servers that are relatively
modest by today's standards.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Tyne, Dogger, Fisher, German Bight: Southeast 4 or 5, occasionally 3 later.