> On Mar 10, 2015, at 8:05 PM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
>
> we are, in this case, defining a protocol. our goal is to get the client to
> stop asking the ANY question. if we send is a signal that sounds right
> (REFUSED, for example) but merely has the effect of "go to next server" then
> we're losing.
>
> if we're serious about redefining ANY as a meta-query, then answering with
> RCODE=0/ANCOUNT=0 is correct. (as it would be for RD=0 queries against an
> RA=1 server.)
>
> but whatever we do, any new reaction to QTYPE=ANY has to ensure that the
> client gives up, and stops asking.

I for one am concerned about doing away with QTYPE=ANY and would like to see
something more along the lines of authorities returning results so dig +trace
works for diagnosis.  Perhaps building better tools for this which might remove
my concern around ANY, that way it can iterate through various QTYPEs for me.

- jared