On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:38:04PM +0000, Darcy Kevin (FCA) wrote:
> So you're thinking it's more likely that we'll get folks to understand
> this new type, that's designed to frustrate QTYPE=* queries in a
> more-or-less graceful way, than it is to convince them to stop making
> QTYPE=* queries in the first place?

They don't need to understand it, they just need to be able to receive
it without choking.

This could be a pretty brilliant solution, actually: If you're
authoritative for a signed zone and you receive a query of type ANY,
return the applicable NSEC/NSEC3; if the zone is *not* signed, synthesize
a response containing a single RR with a type from the "private use" range
(e.g. TYPE65531 or whatever), zero length rdata, and a long TTL.  The
resolver would get an answer, so it stops asking; it would *not* cache
the answer as an empty node, so subsequent queries for other qtypes can
still resolve.

I like this better than any of the prior suggestions.  (It doesn't
address qmail's problem, but that's a lost cause no matter which method
is chosen.)

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.