Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:

> Yes. There are differences between the explicit definition for DNS
> forwarder in RFC 2308 and the strongly implied definition in RFC 5625.

The difference here is that RFC 2308 uses "forwarder" to mean the target
of forwarded queries, whereas RFC 5625 is talking about the process of
forwarding queries. The RFC 2308 usage matches how you configure BIND to
forward queries: you use a "forwarders" clause to configure the target
servers.

The problem with the RFC 2308 usage is that the nominated server is just a
recursive server: the fact that you are forwarding queries to it implies
nothing about its configuration. It might do iterative resolution; it
might forward queries again. If you look at RFC 2308 you will see that
whenever it uses the term, it is talking about other servers that are the
target of queries forwarded by the server under discussion.

I suggest defining "forwarding" and "forwarder" separately.

forwarding: The process of sending a recursive query (RD=1) to another
server (a "forwarder") to resolve a recursive query received by this
server. (As opposed to using iterative resolution.) Forwarding is a
function of a DNS resolver (as opposed to simple relaying done by a DNS
proxy).

forwarder: [RFC 2308 definition]

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Fisher, German Bight: Northwest 5 to 7, perhaps gale 8 later. Slight or